Sunday, July 19, 2009

Uncensored: CNN's Black in America 2

Last Tuesday, July 14 I had the wonderful opportunity to go the prescreening of CNN's Black in America 2 at the Navy Memorial Heritage Center in Washington, DC. Thanks to a dear college friend, I got an invite to be in the audience of a selected few to see the documentary delving into the multifaceted experiences of being African-American in today's society. I admit I missed the controversial expose last year, and was happy to be in the midst of many progressive blacks who are making innovative changes in our communities in this showing. I also have a little news junkie "groupie" love for the host of the evening, Roland S. Martin. LOL :-) The theme for this installment of their coverage was on finding solutions for the mounting problems that disproportionately effect "us" from our marriages, education, and careers/finances, we as blacks in america have been ailing, as one panel member stated "When white america has a cold, black america has pneumonia." I encourage all to watch the documentary when is airs on July 22 & 23 and continue the conversation in your circles of influence.

Roland Martin told us all to ask ourselves this question "If we want to see change for the better in the black community. What is the one thing that you are going to do to change the black community over the next 365 days?" He also said that if you ask yourself this question and a year from now you haven't done anything, YOU ARE the problem in the black community.

Join me along with The Root.com at Busboys & Poets (5&k location) on July 23 from 8-10pm. We wll be watching the first night of the documentary and will be followed by a panel discussion on the show.

SIDEBAR: I saw this clip on You Tube. I love CNN for having some of the finest black men on news television! Check it out! I'm a big fan of TJ Holmes, Coco Brother, and Russ Parr :-)




Bookmark and Share
blog comments powered by Disqus