Monday, June 29, 2009

Unforgettable

Today marks a week after the DC Redline Collision that killed 9. The tragic events of Monday, June 22, 2009 eerily foreshadowed the coming crash to our spirits as we lost three cultural icons: Television Icon Ed McMahon died Tuesday June 23; 70’s Icon and Sex Symbol Farrah Fawcett and the incomparable Michael Jackson (Undeniably the King of Pop) both died on Thursday, June 25. There has been so much said and written about these occurrences this week. I can’t possibly begin to detail how I have been affected beyond that this week will remain with me forever. I will remember where I was when I got a text from my friend asking me “If I was OK?” at 5:36pm on June 22. See, I take the Redline everyday and pass the exact spot the accident occurred routinely and as the saying goes “it could’ve been me, if it wasn’t for the lord.” I was pondering leaving early that day too. I was thankful to work late this day. That night, I was glued to the news and couldn’t believe the pictures before me. The rest of the week, I had to reroute my commute and did so somberly and humbly.

On Thursday, June 25 at 5:58pm, I got an unbelievable text telling me that Michael Jackson had died how we “Never Can Say Goodbye.” I got call not too soon after that and thought the friend on the other end had to pulling some kind of cruel joke. I responded with the “Stop Playing” side-eye. Alas, it was true and reality hit once the U-tube was switched on and the constant media coverage was flooded into my living room. All I could do was watch all the remarkable videos and sing along to all the amazing songs that Michael Jackson has contributed from his soul to ours.

On Saturday, June 27 at 1:45 pm, I facilitated a professional development training course on The “It” Factor for INROADS Interns. As an alum, it was a great honor to give back to college students and inspire them with my emerging journey as a business professional. My icebreaker question to them (after the obligatory: name, university, and internship company) was what is your favorite MJ song and name a characteristic of someone who has “it.” The answers ranged from: swagger, determination, intelligence, charisma, passion, meekness, and mystic. We all can agree that Michael Jackson embodied all of these traits and so much more. I was impressed that the students ages 19-22 all knew of his legacy and chose great songs as their favorite. One of my all-time favorites is “Man in the Mirror.” I'm taking a good look at that (wo)man in the mirror and making that change!

This week has been unforgettable for me. It is a reminder that life is short and that tomorrow is promised to no man. We must cherish and love each other while we can. I’m making a vow to always express of affections to those around me and live everyday as though it was your last…one day it will be.




Bookmark and Share

blog comments powered by Disqus